Monday, May 3, 2010

Passion for hiking

I have always been a outdoor person and enjoy all types of outdoor activities. One of the outdoor activities which I especially enjoy is hiking. Over the last 10 years I have got an opportunity to hike in different places in Virginia, Washington, Arizona, Hawaii, California, Utah, Colorado, Oregon, Alaska.

My passion for hiking grew during my stay in Seattle from 2001-2004. I could never get enough of the beautiful state of Washington, the views were amazing, the destinations were beautiful lakes, falls, coastline, mountain tops.


Moving from Washington to Arizona in 2005, I tried to continue with my hiking passion but the lack of greenery demotivated me quite a bit. Living in Chandler, AZ I did not have access to the beautiful destinations I was used to in Seattle. Anyways I continued to pursue my interest with occasional hikes to South Mountain, Lost Dutchman state park, Sedona, Payson etc.

Some of my memorable hiking experiences have been - hiking down the grand canyon, scaling the half dome, landing on angel's landing,wading through narrows, walking down the bryce canyon, hiking up the delicate arch, hiking in volcano national park. My hubby - Pramod has accompanied me in all these special hikes and he has always pushed me towards my passion.

After we had our son Rishi in 2007 the hiking kind of became very sporadic, more like 1-2 hikes in 2008, 2009. Due to constraints from work, kid I was not thinking about hiking anymore.

Beginning of 2010, Rishi started saying that he wants to go on a hike, and he was very persistent about it whenever he saw a mountain. Finally one day we took him to telegraph pass in south mountain and he totally surprised us by hiking all the way to the top (~1.5 miles) on his own. We were really really proud of our little one :)

Rishi still continues to have his interest of hiking and we have hiked telegraph pass few more times with him. After a hiatus of 3 years I feel I have reconnected to my passion because of my little angel. I am really glad that he shares my passion and hope that will continue to :).

No comments:

Post a Comment